Confliction

 

 I got a problem: I seriously can't decide between two genres for my opening. 

    The two genres in question are horror and drama. There are elements in both respective genres that I feel would be beneficial for different reasons, and because of them, I'm finding it hard to stick with one. I don't have any crazy thought-out narratives for either of the genres at the moment, only tiny ideas that could be more fleshed out with more thought. So you could understand why I'm having trouble and, more importantly, so I could potentially be able to look at them all listed out, I'm going to map out my thoughts in a pro/con list. 

Horror Genre

Pros:
  • Seems more interesting
  • I could be more creative with shot techniques and sound
  • I would have more fun making it
Cons:
  • Less familiar(can't go off "what I know")
  • Harder to create an atmosphere without a budget or dedicated location 

Drama Genre

Pros: 
  • Easier to "write what I know"
  • Less of a hassle set design-wise in comp. to horror
  • Can film basically anywhere
  • Any time of day is fitting for this genre really
Cons
  • Less fun than horror
  • Might be hard thinking of something "unique" or "new"
Looking at the list, it's clear to see that going with a drama would be the best course of action. Though I would be giving up something I would find more fun to create, it would probably be better if whatever I made was something I could relate to in a sense so that it can feel more "real" when executed in the production. There would be much more to work with if I went with the drama option because the set and narrative design wouldn't be such a hassle, but it would probably be harder to make whatever I decide to write unique in any sense, because where the conventions of the horror genre are always glaring and are rarely given any slack for being repetitive(slasher films and such,) dramas need to be more inventive to be noticed or cared about in the industry. 

Drama it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components

OH MY GOD ITS TIME HERE'S MY FINAL PRODUCT!!  FILM FILE GLUTTONY POSTCARD FRONT BACK SOCIAL MEDIA TWITTER: @gluttonymovie