Narrative Ideas


 So, after an insane brainstorming sesh, I landed on two ideas for the narrative of my opening, both falling under different subgenres within the wider drama genre(that's a mouthful.) I found the pro/con approach to decision-making very insightful and helpful when deciding what genre I should make my opening last week, so I'm going to try it out again. Here they are:

CONCEPT 1: CRIME DRAMA 

Premise: Opening would follow an inmate and his brother speaking behind a glass wall about whatever got the inmate in jail, the inmate trying to convince his brother that what he did was not immoral and he shouldn't be in jail as his brother heartbreakingly tells him that he can't be forgiven and his family hates him OR the inmate's lawyer telling him behind a glass wall that his case is still being worked out and he needs to stay patient as they work out his case

PROS OF USING THIS OPENING: an over-reliance on storytelling and dialogue choices as opposed to complex camera work and filming at multiple locations

CONS OF USING THIS OPENING: Finding a cheap way to actually make the opening look like two people talking behind a glass wall would be nearly impossible and the subject matter is far from anything that I "know" (familiarity with a  specific element or plot point within the work is always helpful, but I can relate to nothing.)

CONCEPT 2: DRAMA/ THRILLER

Premise: Opening would depict the boring/mundane/repetitive life of a man, the man receives a card or letter from a mysterious person while sitting at a bench, card/letter is an invitation to a mysterious free getaway that will give his life value

PROS: Not dialogue-heavy, there are many ways I could work with the "mundane" life aspect (specifically location-wise,) and this is more in my wheelhouse when it comes to "familiarity" because with work and school I lead a very repetitive and boring life(ouch.)

CONS: The vision I have for the camera work that will "make" this idea will be very tricky(I will expand more upon this in a later post if I decide to choose this.)

After really/mainly considering the cons and troubles I could run into working on either of these concepts, it's clear that the second concept is way more realistic for an amateur filmmaker such as I and would end up being easier for me with the budget and time frame I have. 

Concept 2 it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components

OH MY GOD ITS TIME HERE'S MY FINAL PRODUCT!!  FILM FILE GLUTTONY POSTCARD FRONT BACK SOCIAL MEDIA TWITTER: @gluttonymovie