Writing is Hard, Man

 


    Due to the rocky start I had in regard to picking the narrative for my short film, I delayed the writing aspect of the production. I have to write a five-minute conversation between three characters, and I never realized how difficult it would be to create dialogue, nevermind incorporate my underlying themes into it. 
    
    The way I started my writing process was by writing down who the characters were and how they interact with other characters in the world of the story. To make it a bit easier on myself, I ended up giving the characters codenames that I may or may not end up keeping as their real names(depends on if they ever even say each others names during the dialogue.) 

    The next step I took was defining the placement of the characters in the setting and what they were currently doing(almost like stage directions.) It felt necessary to know where the characters were actively standing to have a clear image of what the piece would look like if readers of the script were watching it. 

    Now, at my farthest point, I have just begun writing the conversation. The method I've adopted to my storytelling is a bit unorthodox but I want to see where it goes. Rather than writing the story in three parts and trying to get my dialogue to move through those three stages, I've thought it would be cool to just write out a conversation between the three of them and just see where it goes. This has proven pretty difficult because I don't have much experience in writing dialogue, but this is the challenge I accepted in choosing this narrative and it's just something I'll have to figure out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components

OH MY GOD ITS TIME HERE'S MY FINAL PRODUCT!!  FILM FILE GLUTTONY POSTCARD FRONT BACK SOCIAL MEDIA TWITTER: @gluttonymovie